Welcome

...to the website of the James McGregor Stewart Society. We want to change the outlook for people with disabilities. Please share this site with friends. Your contributions, comments and criticisms will add enthusiasm and vitality.
Please participate by subscribing!
Click here (opens a new window)
Statement of Purpose......... Take Action!......... Become a Member......... Contact

July 15, 2017

Grace for Sarah

Carrie Ernst, Operations Manager at Independent Living Nova Scotia, has written to tell us about an effort underway to remember Sarah Dube, first recipient of the James McGregor Stewart Award in 2015.  As you remember, Sarah died late last year, and her friend Grace McNee is cycling across Canada as a personal tribute to Sarah and fundraiser for Independent Living Nova Scotia, to which Sarah was so devoted.


Carrie writes: "Sarah touched the lives of so many and inspired others with her spirit, kindness and light. I am hoping to share this with your society and it’s members."

Grace on a Bike – The Sarah Dubé Memorial

On June 22, 2017 Grace McNee began her incredible journey in Vancouver, BC. Over the next few months, she will be cycling across Canada on her trusty bike Beto to raise money for Independent Living Nova Scotia in loving memory of Sarah Dubé.
Grace explains why she is traveling across Canada in Sarah’s memory:

“Sarah came into my life last year, and while I had far too short a time with her, she touched me deeply and inspired me beyond measure. Although I was her care worker, Sarah cared for me as much as I did for her and quickly became my nearest and dearest friend. She had many passions, from travel to philosophy, to the environment, to animal rights, and many more, too numerous to count. I learned a lot from her and she has inspired me to tackle the trek across Canada by bicycle. Nothing was ever too much for Sarah, and she never let her disability define her.
Sarah was a strong believer in the importance of independent living, and chaired the Board of Independent Living Nova Scotia (ILNS). We attended many meetings and events together, and I have been privileged to see the impact of some of the work they do. Through Sarah, independent living has become a cause near and dear to me. Sarah opened my eyes to new ways of looking at the world, and of living in it. She will always be one of the strongest and feistiest people I ever had the pleasure of knowing.
I am riding by bicycle across Canada, from the West Coast all the way to Newfoundland, and am raising money for ILNS in Sarah’s honour. Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated.”
Grace’s website has an interactive map and blog of her locations, adventures and hard work.
Please check out Grace’s website and consider supporting her efforts:


No comments: